Sunday, July 7, 2013

"You Gotta Hear this One Song; It'll Change Your Life I Swear."

In case y'all couldn't tell, I love me some movies. Whether it be a tear-jerker like Titanic or a cinematic joy like Wedding Crashers, I'm pretty much game for anything. (Except for maybe Sci-Fi. Can't really get into stuff like that.) But sometimes the best part of a movie is it's soundtrack. So here are some of the best soundtracks(songs in particular)that make me question whether I actually liked the movie or the music more. 


1. Talk Show Host- Radiohead (Romeo & Juliet)
I literally don't care what any of you say, this is by far the best song on a soundtrack ever. You wanna know why? Because your insta-first thought when hearing this song(assuming you've seen the movie) is beautiful Leonardo DiCaprio's flawless face slow panning on screen. 


And anything that gives you that mental image is a gift from God.


2. Don't Panic- Coldplay (Garden State)
To be honest, this has to be the best soundtrack on the face of the planet. The only reason I picked this song off the soundtrack in particular is just because it's the first song in the film. I don't even have enough words to describe how awesome this whole soundtrack is, but believe me, it's amazeballs and you should watch the movie and buy the soundtrack ASAP. 


3. Over the Love- Florence & the Machine 
(The Great Gastby)
Right after Garden State, The Great Gatsby probably has the second best soundtrack ever. This song in particular just gives me chills. I have literally listened to it over 100 times by now and I'm still not sick of it. And you can safely assume that I'm rocking out to it alone in the car and have given many passing drivers quite the show. I think it's hauntingly beautiful and I'm obsessed. Plus, it's another Leo DiCap movie, so that is that. 


4. Safe and Sound- Taylor Swift 
(The Hunger Games)
Okay, so we all know my distaste for Taylor Swift, but this, I have to admit, is one of the prettiest and sweetest songs I've ever heard. It actually kills me a little on the inside because when I listen to it it makes me believe for those 4 minutes that Taylor isn't the psychotic bimbo that we all know her to be. It's deceptive. And I don't appreciate that. Regardless, this song is fantastic and I can't deny it.


5. Mad World- Gary Jules (Donnie Darko)
Just another beautiful song. It's so dark and full of sadness, but it's just so freaking good. It perfectly sums up the feeling of the movie and it's fan-freaking-tastic.


6. A Thousand Years- Christina Perri 
(Breaking Dawn)
Judge all you want, but YEAH, I like this song. 
It's deliciously cheesy and probably one of the only redeeming qualities of the whole Twilight franchise. I think it's sweet and it brings out the girly girl inside of me that believes in soul-mates and unicorns. 



7. Bella Finals- Barden Bellas (Pitch Perfect)
Everyone loves Pitch Perfect
(hehehehe see what I did there?)
But seriously, this movie is the shizz. If college were actually anything like this movie I might enjoy it more, but alas, I will never have the voice of a thousand angels and have this beautiful specimen of a man tell me that we're going to have aca-children together.
So, for the time being, I'll just sit here and listen to the best song on the soundtrack(although all of it is pretty bomb-digity) and fantasize about that divine face.


8. Moon River- Henry Mancini 
(Breakfast at Tiffany's)
This is just a straight-up classic. I don't think I can even say much more about it than that. It just makes me want to wear my big sunglasses, eat a danish, and walk the streets of NYC. 


9. How it Ends- DeVotchKa
(Little Miss Sunshine)
When I first saw this movie I was positively obsessed with this song. It's all instrumental and another case where it just fully represents what the entire movie is about. It's just wonderful and very calming. 


10. Down with the Sickness- Richard Cheese
(Dawn of the Dead)
This is just the definition of excellent. It's a jazz song cover of a hardcore rock song that plays at the end of a zombie movie. Freaking great. I love jazz music, so this was right up my alley. Nothing makes me more excited for a zombie apocalypse than some jazzy feel-good music.


11. The 2nd Law: Isolated Systems- Muse 
(World War Z)
This list makes it look like I like zombie movies than I actually do, but oh well. Now, it can be argued that Muse has become quite the sell-out band(not that I terribly disagree) but when I was sitting through the opening credits of the movie I fell in love. To me, it sounds like what a zombie apocalypse would sound like(minus the absent screaming and crying...minor details). I obviously didn't know it was Muse when I heard it in the credits, so you bet your bottom dollar that I went and Googled it right when I got home and promptly bought it. I'm obsessed.