Friday, June 14, 2013

"The Book of Mormon"- A Mormon's Perspective on the Hit Musical

"If you can't laugh at yourself, life's gonna seem a whole lot longer than you like." --Garden State (2004)


Now, it's important to note that I actually saw the musical back in April, but since I didn't have my blog yet I never really got to express my own opinion on it.(And as you may have been able to tell- I love sharing my opinions.)

So for anyone who has been living under a rock, The Book of Mormon is a satirical play written by Trey Parker and Matt Stone, the creators of South Park. The play's main characters are Elder Price and Elder Cunningham- two very naive and optimistic LDS missionaries- who get sent to Uganda on their 2-year mission. In the small village they are staying in they try to share The Book of Mormon, another part of scripture in the Mormon faith, to the people which they are having trouble connecting with; meanwhile there is a warlord trying to take over the population and the village is stricken with famine, AIDS, and war. 

I remember when I was telling people beforehand that I was seeing the play they would ask if I was worried about it or just making sure that would, "be okay," and honestly I would tell people that I'd be fine. Why waste time about being offended by other people? Especially for me, it would be really hypocritical for me to get upset at someone making fun of me, because I make fun of everyone- including myself. I think it's important to remember to laugh at yourself, otherwise I genuinely think you're going to be a pretty miserable person. 

I will just begin by saying that, I- Rebecca Foerster, absolutely LOVED this musical. I thought it was hilarious, touching, and heartfelt. With that I will say that if you are easily offended or just sensitive then, no, I wouldn't recommend it to you. 
I would be lying if I said I wasn't originally a little nervous about seeing this play. I saw it with my mother and one of her friends(both also members of the LDS church.)

1. I was nervous seeing it with my mom because she's a little bit more on the sensitive side when it comes to language and other controversial topics that were discussed in the play. 
2. Even though I'm proud to say that I don't usually get easily offended- I do get a little touchy about someone making fun of something that does mean so much to me. I mean, I make fun of my own religion and the culture it entails as much as the next person, but if it's someone actually derailing my beliefs I do get a little upset. (Understandably so I would think.)

Even though this play is kind of scoffing at my faith- I believe that it wasn't actually intended on hurting the members of the church.  What I think was so great about this musical is that they really didn't bash the church- at least I didn't take anything that way. As I mentioned before I was mostly worried about them basically insulting the doctrinal beliefs that we have.(Because I have to be honest- I know that some of the things we believe in can sound strange to non-members.) 
Instead, what the majority of the play was poking fun at is the stereotypical 'Mormon Culture' that most everyone is aware of--The overly-happy couple with 20 kids or, in the play's case, the simple-minded missionary that isn't aware of 'real-world' problems. 

Sorry, not sorry, but I make-fun of  the 'Mormon Culture' probably more than non-Mormons.
(Holla to the 20 year-old Mormon girls out there that aren't married or barefoot and preggo yet!)

From what I remember, I think the worst it went into(making fun of beliefs wise) was some stuff about our Prophet, Joseph Smith, and then some of the text in The Book of Mormon.(the actual book.) But honestly- I don't remember them genuinely insulting Mormons, which I will choose to take that as they didn't really say anything because I think I would have remembered if they had upset me.

 
(This is at the Tony Awards- it's the opening number of the play.)
It was right after this opening scene that I was sold, because seriously, it so relatable. What was even more fun was that since I am Mormon, during the play they would say a few things here and there(not mean, just little jokes) and you could tell that the only people who were laughing must've been the Mormons because no one else would get it. Perfection. 

And while most people would think that the LDS(Mormons) church would boycott this musical and try to shut it down(I don't even know if that would be possible?) That just isn't the case. The church practically did just the opposite. The major players in the church actually bought out ad space in the playbill to advertise The Book of Mormon. 

(Mormons- you're doing it right.)

It's also been encouraged by church leaders to either go see it with your friends or let your friends know that you are open for any questions they may have about the church after seeing it- knowing that the musical is obviously not going to be 100% accurate on the church's beliefs or history. 
The play has actually been a huge help in the missionary work that Mormons are so keen on; there have even been a few instances on people joining the church after seeking out to learn more about it after seeing the play. (http://broadwayworld.com/article/Woman-Joins-LDS-Church-After-Seeing-THE-BOOK-OF-MORMON-on-Broadway-20130515)

At the end of the day this play really did have a good message. It left you feeling that as long as whatever you believe in makes you happy, gives you hope, and helps you and those around you then it's OK. It's obvious that the play goes from the ridiculous to the sublime, but I think it truly means well. You would definitely leave the theater with a smile on your face and feeling good about life.

And honestly- I left feeling even more proud to be a member of this church.